Sunday 28 September 2014

Benefit They're Real Push Up Liner Dupe - Maybelline Lasting Drama Black Shock Gel Eyeliner Pen

Earlier this year Benefit released the first gel liner in a pen, 'They're Real Push Up Liner'. Now Maybelline have released their own version, which as far as I can tell is identical but half the price! 

If you are an eyeliner newbie, let me explain the difference between a liquid eyeliner and a gel eyeliner. A gel eyeliner usually comes in a little pot and you need to have a separate eyeliner brush to apply it. Its much thicker in consistency than a liquid eyeliner, so I personally find a gel easier to work with. Gel's also tend to last a heck of a lot longer than liquid liners and you can apply a gel to the waterline. Although you might need a bit of practise getting used to using an eyeliner brush, once you have mastered it you really have much more control and can get a much finer line/wing. 

The only downside to gel eyeliner is that it can be slightly more of a faff and isn't particularly practical for doing your makeup on the go. Something that these new gel eyeliner pens should help with.


The Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner has a silicone nib and when you twist the bottom of the pen, the gel is released, no need for a separate brush. 

This was actually easier to work with than I thought it would be. As the silicone nib isn't particularly flexible I thought I was going to get in a right mess, but its surprising how quickly you get the hang of it. The only thing I would say is that you can't get as precise a line as you would if you were using an eyeliner brush. 

Overall I was really impressed with this. It was much easier to work with than I thought it would be and   this eyeliner does not budge. I didn't wear any eyeshadow or primer with this, as I really wanted to test the staying power. I have quite oily eyelids and this didn't smudge at all. It stayed in place all day, which for me is a bit of a miracle. 

If you like thin, precise liner I would say stick with your eyeliner brush but if you don't mind your eyeliner a bit thicker and want to save yourself some time in the morning, definitely give this a try. 
If you were planning on getting the Benefit liner save yourself the money and get this one. Honestly they are identical, except Benefit's version costs £18.50 and Maybelline's £8.99. 
I'll leave you to do the math ;)

The Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner Pen is available from Boots online and in store for £8.99


No comments:

Post a Comment