Thursday 19 December 2013

7 Party Makeup Looks: 5 The Purple Smoky Eye

This is the first time I have worn eyeliner in a year! Now, in terms of world affairs this is beyond ridiculous but for a previous winged eyeliner addict its a small miracle.

I used to wear winged liner every single day. I remember I first started doing it when Playboy had a makeup line (I know!) and they had this felt tip eyeliner which I loved to draw my little cat eye flick with. Then I moved onto the Chanel liquid liner with the little brush, that was my favourite for a long time and then I moved onto gel eyeliner and I would painstakingly paint on my flick with MAC's Blacktrack fluid line. 

I think it was part natural progression and part conscious decision to put down the liquid liner, but my cat eyes soon became a thing of the past. While I doubt they will make a return anytime soon, I did think it was time to bust out the eyeliner again and be reunited with an old favourite.....

Face

Primer/Base
Clarins Beauty Flash Balm
One of the biggest cult beauty products, this balm promises to brighten and tighten your skin. You apply this on clean skin before your make up and the trick is to not rub it in. You need to smooth it over your skin, without rubbing. Basically you want to use as few hand movements as possible (if that makes sense). This is such a party product as it gives your skin an instant pick me up, making you look a lot more radiant and glowing than you actually are!
Available from Boots £29.00

Foundation
Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk UV Foundation
I love that this is a long wearing foundation but it doesn't feel like a long wearing foundation, its not thick and doesn't feel heavy on the skin. This doesn't last as long on me as my Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, but its a nice alternative when I want something a bit lighter and fresher.
Available from John Lewis £34.50

Concealer
Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer
This is one of the best under eye concealers I have found and its also the cheapest!
Available from Boots £6.99

Bronzer
Guerlain Terracotta Moisturising Bronzing Powder in 00 Makeup Artist
I find I tend to love wearing blusher in the day but when it comes to my evening makeup I quite happily skip it in favour of bronzer, especially if I have a heavy eye or lip look going on.
Available from Debenhams £34.00

Eyes

Eyebrows
Soap and Glory Archery
Available from Boots £10.00

Maybelline Brow Drama in Medium Brown
Available from Boots £4.99

Eyeshadow
By Terry Ombre Blackstar in Velvet Orchid
This is a cream eyeshadow in stick form, which is ridiculously pigmented and creamy. Now these are pretty pricey and in hindsight I do think, should I have got a more wearable colour but sometimes its fun to step out of your comfort zone and try something different. You want to apply this directly onto your eye and then blend, blend, blend either with a brush or your fingers. You want a quite smudgy look so don't worry about being neat and make sure you do my favourite trick of smudging this right the way along your lower lash line.
Available from Space NK £27.50

Eyeliner
MAC Eye Kohl in Prunella
I used to love this eyeliner so, so much. It was even in my top 12 Makeup products of 2012 post but when my eyeliner cold turkey started, it got forgotten about.
Like Velvet Orchid, this is a dark plummy/purple colour with a hint of metallic to it. I much prefer this to a black eyeliner as its not so harsh and the colour brings out your natural eye colour more than a black would. I used this on my top lash line and smudged out with my fingers. I also used it in my waterline and tightline to intensify the look. The key to this eye makeup is to keep things messy, you don't want to look like you've tried too hard!
Available from MAC £14.00

Mascara
L'oreal Voluminous Mascara
Such a good mascara, I highly recommend. Gives a lot of volume without things getting all clumpy!
Available from Amazon £7.90

I wanted to add an alternative eyeshadow to the By Terry, as I know its rather expensive. Maybelline's Colour Tattoo in Metallic Pomegranate would also work really well with this look. It will be a little bit lighter but the colour is buildable so you can achieve quite a dramatic look.
Available from Boots £4.99

Lips

Lipstick
Burberry Lip Cover in English Rose
I'm sorry to use this lipstick again but its my all time favourite 'nude' lipstick and nothing compares to it!
Available from John Lewis £22.50

I'm currently torn as to what one of my makeup looks to wear for my festive celebrations on Saturday. At the moment I'm leaning towards this one. Its been so long since Ive done a smoky eye, I didn't realise how much Ive missed it!







2 comments:

  1. your eyes are STUNNING in this look! Absolutely gorgeous! Hands down, my favorite eye look on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh thank you so much :) I think you have swayed me to do this makeup for my night out, tonight! x

      Delete