Monday 10 June 2013

Flushed

I was going to title this post Red Cheeks but then I imagined an unsavoury man, sitting in his well worn armchair stumbling across this post on a late night googling session and I changed my mind.

Anyway

Its no secret that I love red lips, I pretty much wear some form of sheer red lip everyday and I did a post on my favourites here but I am also a bit obsessed with red blusher.

I think red blusher looks beautiful, I love the flush of colour on the cheeks and it fits the whole English Rose look perfectly.
Now you have be careful when applying these, or you will end up looking like Prince Harry. You will need a decent makeup brush, not a horrible scratchy one! I have forced my mum to throw away her blusher brush before, to be fair it did have about 3 bristles left. You don't want a dense brush for this, as you only want a light application of colour. Something like the Real Techniques Duo Fiber Brushes would be perfect and don't be heavy handed with your application. You will literally need to dip your brush in the pan once and that's enough, I recommend dusting your brush on the back of your hand first to remove any excess. Finally if you do end up looking more Prince Harry than Kate Winslet don't panic, get your foundation brush and blend it over the blusher, this will tone it down.

NYX's Red Cheeks is the brightest of all the blushers, its also a cream formula so I would recommend applying this with a stippling brush. NYX is an American brand but they now have a UK website where you can buy their products. The pigmentation is amazing and for me they match MAC in terms of quality, the best thing about NYX is the price. I think this blusher is an absolute bargain for £5.50 and I can guarantee you that you will not find any other high street beauty brands with a blusher this bright.

My MAC Frankly Scarlet blusher was one of the first blushes I de-potted and as you can see by the giant hole in the middle of it, it went well. Frankly Scarlet started my red blush obsession, it really is beautiful.

Another NYX blush but this time in powder form. This blush is actually called "Red" but I find this leans a little more pink than red. I have been wearing this a lot lately, its not as bright so I can slap it on a bit more haphazardly in the morning.


Becca's Beach Tint in Watermelon is a multi purpose product which can be used on the cheeks and the lips. This cream colour can be blended out for a much more subtle look if desired. Word of warning, if you do put this on your lips you will need a lip balm as I find it to be quite drying on the lips.

And last but by no means least another multi purpose product, Stila's Convertible Colour in Poppy. Out of the three cream blushers this one is my favourite. Its a slightly darker red than the other shades and I love applying this as a stain on my lips. Its not as drying as the Becca Beach Tint and lasts all day.

I hope I have encouraged you to try out a brighter blush, I am a bit of a blusher fanatic and I don't think enough people wear it!


No comments:

Post a Comment